We have fantastic opportunities for therapeutic radiographers and others interested in joining our Radiotherapy team and developing their careers. 

What is a therapeutic radiographer?

Therapeutic radiographers are specialist healthcare professionals who are highly-trained in the planning and delivery of radiotherapy treatment. 

It’s a challenging and exciting career that requires in-depth knowledge of anatomy and physiology, oncology (cancer medicine), radiotherapy physics and technology as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.

Therapeutic radiographers gain a breadth of experience that covers all aspects of pre-treatment and treatment. 

Once they are more experienced, many radiographers choose a more specialised career path. They can move into advanced clinical practice roles, become a consultant radiographer or move into management, research or higher education.

We have a wide range of opportunities with lots of support and encouragement to develop your knowledge, experience and confidence. We support people to pursue their ambitions and progress their careers. 

Find out more about the roles available.

Band 5

  • Rotational treatment radiographer

Band 6

  • Rotational treatment radiographer
  • Pre-treatment radiographer

Band 7

  • Treatment advanced practitioner (TAP)
  • Pre-treatment advanced practitioner
  • On treatment review radiographer
  • Clinical educators
  • Clinical tutors
  • Research radiographer

As a research radiographer, you are responsible for managing the portfolio of radiotherapy clinical trials patients who are currently receiving treatment on a trial within the department.

Working in research can be exciting and worthwhile because although it takes a long time and requires a lot of documentation and administration, you are helping to bring novel or innovative new techniques into clinical practice, which will hopefully benefit future generations of patients.

Band 8

  • Treatment expert practitioner
  • Consultant radiographer
  • Managerial posts

To qualify as a therapeutic radiographer, you need to complete an undergraduate or postgraduate university course in radiotherapy. Then you need to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) to be able to practise.

Those with international qualifications will also need to check their eligibility and register with the HCPC. 

The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre is one of several NHS trusts that train students from the University of Liverpool. Our students combine their academic studies with clinical practice in a large radiotherapy department, which is both technically and technologically advanced. 

During their time here, students have the opportunity to work at all three of our cancer centres. Our main site is in Liverpool and our two satellite centres are in Wirral and Aintree. Our radiotherapy clinical tutor and the radiotherapy education team support all our students and staff.

Further information

If you are interested in a career in radiotherapy, we would love to hear from you:

You can find out more about careers in radiotherapy at the following links: