Phase 1 (1958 to 1962)

Clatterbridge Hospital West - Radiotherapy Unit consisted of a purpose-built treatment unit containing the Mullard 4 Mev linear accelerator, three wards, an operating theatre, a physics workshop, mould room and medical records office. The linear accelerator was up and running by early 1959 and treated between 60 and 80 patients a day.

The three wards, Dee, Weaver and Mersey - containing 70 beds and were housed in converted military huts along with other services such as the theatre, the outpatients’ clinic, scientific & technical services and secretarial support.