In 1862 James Seaton Smythe, a prominent surgeon, set up the Liverpool Hospital for Cancer and Diseases of the Skin.
Seven years later he bequeathed the hospital £10,000. This was the first of many legacies, which still support our work in caring for cancer patients and helping to pioneer research into the disease – searching for both the cause and the cure.
In 1882 the hospital moved to a new site in Liverpool and was renamed The Radium Institute. The first Roentgen ray apparatus was bought in 1901 and the Centre became one of two major radiotherapy centres in the North West.
The decision was taken to move the services out of Liverpool city centre in the 1950’s. The Radium Institute, renamed the Liverpool Clinic, became the Regional Centre for Nuclear Medicine, and the new Regional Radiotherapy Centre was opened in March 1958 at Clatterbridge on the Wirral.